Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Time Tables

I never carry a copy of the train time-table
I always go and wait on the station
Until the next one comes
Because I know it will in some time
It does not matter how long
I don't plan the ten minutes around it
I just wait.

And as I do sometimes
I meet an old woman
With a silver brooch on her dress
Who went to India in the early sixties
Or a woman whose Golden Retriever
Just gave birth to a litter
I see oddly adult school girls
Experimenting with makeup
And stiff men in shirt sleeves
Going to the city for work
Sometimes on a bench in the corner
Sleeps a wasted man, oblivious
To the frenzy of the sober world
And for a split second I envy him
For his dauntless abandon

Sometimes I can see my train
Going without me in front of my eyes
Because I am one minute too late
But then I just tell myself
That I am fourteen minutes too early
For the next one

I love the person inside me
Who does not care a crap
About train time-tables!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ain't very different from running in a vast, empty field in no particular direction, with no one to race against, no clock to time your pace.

-Adonis.

शिरीष said...

The railway stations,bus stands are real schools of life. They teach you a lot provided you see them with your open eyes.

Sometimes they put ou in nostalgic memories of ypur past sometimes they show you your future. But for this you have to be in your present at the railway station.

Fantastic!

Dk said...

hehe lucky U