Thursday, April 16, 2009

Over-brewed Lament

I still remember the day
When my words plunged you
Into a momentary,still darkness..
I know it was momentary 
Because I am no bigger
Than a moment..or even less..
I remember how you lowered
Your big innocent eyes in sadness
And then a single, lonely tear
Rolled down your shiny cheek
It was not your fault, it was mine
And that tear should have rolled
On my selfish, inconsiderate cheek.

I could not make you smile
So I removed you from my life..
I threw away the letters
I stopped visiting places 
That would make me run into you
When you tried to reach me
I put myself into boxes within boxes
Of cold, distant vacuum.

One day you stopped reaching out
You found your wings, God bless them
And you had your share of eager boys
Fell down a few more times
And realized that it goes in circles..
Love and tears alike.
No one then was like I was once
In your pellucid, innocent eyes

And then one day we happened to meet
In a fruit market in the middle of nowhere
You were haggling for a dozen apples
And I was holding my wife's purse
I knew in an instant that it was you
With your skin, your eyes and your light
You turned around and your glance
Stayed over my face for a split second
In that moment I was hoping
You would freeze from a renewed grief
And the same lonely tear would graze 
Your cheek, now in full blossom.

But you walked past calling out
To the new man in your life..
And the whole market seemed to pause
When he held out his hand for you..
Had you not noticed me at all?
Had you forgotten everything?
I still remember going into great details
To keep all your letters unopened
So that I don't have to reply..
And the ever so recent conversation
With my best friend about how
What I did to you was only because
It was good for you..
And for all that effort 
I do not even get a single tear?

...


4 comments:

Alien said...

:-)

twas certainly nice reading ..

is the inspiration drawn from experience.. the intensity made it seem so ..

cheers

Saee said...

@ Alien..
Yes it is! =)
I am almost (in)famous for these kind of experiences..
Nice to have you back..write something! We miss you.

Alien said...

Nice to know one's missed .. but words dont seem to flow .... and of course there is always time to blame ..

I do read though .. when time permits!

AJ said...

Brilliant poem... a silver lining on clouds that make you write them!

- Ajay