Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Dear Notebook

Dear Notebook forgive me,
For I confuse you with eccentricity
And bring you half way through your pages
To where Chemistry meets Poetry

If they open you legally
Like they should in a world full of Rules
You would enthral them by Logic and Statistics
And thoughts from various schools
All neatly organized and highlighted
For the ease of a probable Return
And paper markers with question marks
Where there is still a lot more to learn

For those who don’t follow rules
And flip through the other way round
You reveal a mess of merry thoughts
That float without a ground
Between the lines, inclined to the right
Self-obsessed and unkind
Like the clouds that turn into pictures
Or wavy hair against the wind
Adamant verses that refuse to grow up
Or a Happy Thought broken
By the persistent cell phone ring
Words, recycled and forgotten

I never let you finish
Straight from Left to Right
Your salvation is somewhere in between
Schizophrenic and full of the Night

But would it make a difference
If I confess that you are the reason
For all the Joy and Peace in my life?
So even if the world finds it odd
And frightfully abnormal
For you to be so scientific
Front to back
And recklessly disorganized
Back to front
We could make sense
If we just stay together!

8 comments:

Mandar Gadre said...

Beautiful. liked it [:)]
I spare my lab notebook though, and do all this 'back to front' "artwork" in course-notebooks, filling them with attempts at poetry and calligraphy.
In school, the backsides of the notebooks - starting from the cover - were much more amusing; with all the book-cricket scores, weird sketches and in-class-instant-messages ;)

Saee said...

@ mandar
Hey thanks.. :)
yeah..the concept is old I agree..but it is a dear one to me. Notebooks have always been the loyal friends. :)

शिरीष said...

Yes dear Sai,I agree with you.
The difference between a normal notebook and this new modern digital notebook is poles apart but the principle of human mind to go haywire,disorganized and I liked the word schizophrenic is essentially the same.

मनाचे खेळ मजेशीर असतात.मनाचा वेग तर सर्वात जास्त.हे सगळ प्रत्येकातच असत पण सगळ्यांच्या "नोटबूक"मधे येतच अस नाही.तूझ्यासारख्यांना हे छान जमत!
मंदारचे काँमेंट नाँस्टेलजीक आहेत.

छानच लिहल आहेस.

Saee said...

@ baba
yeah..do you remember how I used to scribble on all the walls with a pencil even when you got me a black and a white board?? :D
I think your discipline just cost you extra money on notebooks. :)

शिरीष said...

Hey Sai,
That's a compliment!
I would be happy to put you under such dicipline a million times if it is so but remember that doesn't happen with every one.I think God has chosen you to suit every notebook.
Keep it up!

Unknown said...

took me straight to the last bench of school, with ink pen blotting on the hard paperback, and fingers getting pinched occasionally thanks to the variable width gaps between the bench planks.

Cheers

Alien said...

wow.. you are getting better and better... the words just seem to flow now ... breaking out of the shackles of meter and rhyme, the verse seems to be headed where you want it to... very nice... very well written...

Its probably a mundane concept but you make it come alive..

Inspiring piece I'd say

Saee said...

@ tejas
Thanks..:)
@alien
Wow!! So much praise from you!!
yey!!